PHILLY BOXING HISTORY - January 28, 2017  
Home Boxers Fights Arenas Non-Boxers Gyms Relics More About Contact


Story by John DiSanto
Photos by Darryl Cobb Jr. /


Jaron Ennis and Manny Folly, two of Philly’s top rising young fighters both destroyed their opponents in separate bouts at the 2300 Arena in South Philadelphia, Saturday night. In the main event, Ennis, 9-0, 8 KOs, knocked out Elvin Perez, 28-17-4, 19 KOs, in just 35 seconds of a scheduled six-round bout. Folly, 9-0, 7 KOs, ended his six-round co-feature bout after just 2:28, knocking out Carlos Morgan, 13-5, 6 KOs. The quick victories cemented both fighter’s place as key figures of Philly’s new generation of fighters.   

Ennis, a welterweight fighting in his first main event, came directly out at the opening bell and began backing up Perez with his flashy punches. Before you knew it, Ennis maneuvered Perez to the ropes and landed a three punch combination, which ended with a hook to the mid-section. Perez immediately took a knee and remained motionless while referee Shawn Clark counted to ten.   

The punch clearly landed, but did not look particularly heavy. Experienced fighters like Perez know how to pick their battles. Either Perez couldn’t continue after the body shot, or perhaps he just didn’t like the idea of getting hit again by Ennis. Either way, the crowd booed Perez for not even trying to get up and the PA Commission later indicated that his purse would be held as a result of his disappointing surrender.   

“I always tell him that you don’t have to hit him hard, you just have to hit him right,” Bozy Ennis, Jaron’s father and trainer said after the fight. “He landed the hook and that was it.”   

Ennis looked disappointed when the fight was stopped. Although it was a speedy and certain victory, it may not have been the show he had hoped for his first main event. Regardless, Ennis defeated an opponent with nearly fifty fights, kept his young record spotless, and looked good doing it. 


In the scheduled six-round co-feature, junior featherweight Manny Folly, also made short work of his foe and in the process, stole the show. Folly started fast against Morgan, swelling the Mexican’s left eye and drawing blood from his nose almost immediately. Folly kept up the pressure, landing heavy blow after heavy blow. Morgan began to wilt from the battering, and could do little more than try to cover up.  

Suddenly, Folly cracked him with a devastating left hook and Morgan crashed to the canvas. Referee Eric Dali immediately stopped the slaughter without a count. The time was 2:28. With the victory, Folly, a Philadelphia policeman when he’s not in the ring, looked better than ever, and the fight is an early candidate for the "Knockout of the Year" Briscoe Award. 

Ennis and Folly both improved their promising records to 9-0.   


Mexican welterweight Carlos Sanchez, 12-0, 11 KOs, stopped Virginian Somner Martin, 6-4, 4 KOs, with a volley of punches in round three of their scheduled six rounder. Sanchez staggered Martin and kept throwing punches until referee Shawn Clark decided to save the injured fighter from further punishment. The time was 2:16 of the third round.   


In another scheduled six rounder, Hungarian welterweight Zsolt (Adam) Daranyi, 10-0, 10 KOs, scored a second round knockout over Maryland road warrior Lenwood Dozier, 10-16-2, 5 KOs, to keep his record perfect. Daranyi put Dozier on the canvas with an overhand right and Lenwood took the full 10-count from referee Eric Dali. The time was 2:11 of the second round. Daranyi is trained by Bozy Ennis.   

Dozier, a frequent visitor to Philadelphia, is usually a challenging test for rising fighters, and almost always makes it to the final bell with ease. That Daranyi managed to manhandle the skilled underachiever and send him home so early was impressive.    


New Milford, NJ super middleweight Darren Goodall, 4-0, 3 KOs, spoiled the pro debut of Chicago's Gary Hudson, 0-1, with his second round TKO victory. Goodall used a blistering body attack to wear down Hudson, and finally at the 1:37 mark of the second round, referee Shawn Clark had seen enough. There were no knockdowns.


Philly junior lightweight Donald Smith, 4-0, 3 KOs, remained undefeated with a fourth round TKO of Chris Nelson of Louisville, KY, 1-3.  Smith used an array of heavy body punches to floor Nelson once in round three and again in round four. After the second knockdown, referee Eric Dali halted the bout at 1:11 of the fourth and final round.   


In the show opener, welterweight Brandun Lee, Coachella, CA, made a swift pro debut against Christopher Johnson, of South Bend, IN, 0-4. Lee, 1-0, 1 KO, took a few shots during the fight, but remained in control and put his opponent down twice. The second knockdown nearly sent Johnson out of the ring, and referee Shawn Clark called it a KO at 1:33 of round one.  

The seven bout card was promoted by Chris Middendorf's Victory Boxing Promotions, and was the first of six shows the company plans at the venue in 2017. Their next date in Philadelphia is March 31st.   




John DiSanto - South Philly - January 28, 2017