PHILLY BOXING HISTORY - October 25, 2019  
Home Boxers Fights Arenas Non-Boxers Gyms Relics More About Contact


Story by Ken Hissner
Photos by Jano Cohen


The Kings Promotions (Marshall Kauffman and Dr. Andrew Hoy) show at South Philly's 2300 Arena featured super middleweight Brandon “B-Rob” Robinson (14-2, 9 KO), of Upper Darby, PA, defeating Martez McGregor (8-3, 6 KO), of Maywood, IL, over eight rounds, in the main event.

In the first round, there was little action, but Robinson, 165 lbs, forced what action there was. He landed the best punch, a left hook, to the chin of McGregor, 166 lbs., at the 10 second warning ending the round. In the second, Robinson landed several left hooks to the chin of McGregor who did little in return. In the third round, McGregor landed a three-punch combination to the body and head of Robinson. There were not many clean punches from both fighters in the round.

In the fourth, Robinson landed a right to the body that was countered by a left hook to the chin by McGregor. McGregor got the better of the two inside. Robinson may have stolen the round in the last ten seconds with several left hooks to the chin followed by a right to the chin of McGregor.

In the fifth round, Robinson continued landing his left hook in a wild swinging battle by both fighters. In the sixth, most of the fighting was inside but there was too much holding. Robinson landed a good left hook to the chin while McGregor countered with a pair of rights to the chin.

In the seventh round, Robinson landed a solid right to the chin of McGregor. McGregor continued to force the action until a low punch from Robinson caused Referee Eric Dali to give him a rest. Both fighters landed left hooks to the chin at the same time. Robinson again was warned for low blows by the Referee Dali at the conclusion of the round. In the eighth and final round, it was like a tug of war with too much holding and a very sloppy ending to the fight.

Scores were 78-74 by Bernard Bruni, while both Marc Werlinsky and Mark Consentino had it 77-75.  This writer scored it a 76-76 draw.    


Super lightweight and former PA lightweight champion, Philly’s Naim "The Dream" Nelson, 14-4, 1 NC, 1 KO, 137.8 lbs., used his experience to easily defeat Roy "The Animal" McGill, 6-4, 3 KO. 137.8 lbs., of Harrisburg, PA, over six rounds.

In the first round, both fighters landed body shots but their jabs fell short. It was a close round with McGill taking the first half and Nelson the second half. After one minute in the second round, Nelson landed a hard right to the body of McGill. Halfway through the round, Nelson landed a solid right to the chin of McGill. In the final 10 seconds, Nelson rocked McGill with a right to the chin.

In the third round, Nelson's movement had McGill set-up for body shots. Near the end of the round, McGill landed a pair of body shots but got countered with a right on the chin from Nelson. In the fourth, Nelson landed a three-punch combination and double left hooks to the chin as McGill kept his hands high and did little on the offense. 

In the fifth round, Nelson continued to show his much better ring generalship. With twice as many fights on his resume, Naim kept outworking McGill. In the sixth and final round, Nelson landed the best punch of the fight, an overhand right to the head of McGill. He then moved away when McGill missed with his own rights. Whenever McGill scored inside Nelson tied him up. McGill couldn't pull the trigger while Nelson would hit and move. There were very little jabs landing in this one. Nelson is one of the most likeable you men you will ever know in boxing.

Scores were Werlinsky: 58-56, Consentino: 60-54, and Rubenstein: 59-55 (the same as this writer). 


West Philly’s super lightweight Damon "Baby Dane" Allen, 16-1-1, 5 KO, 138.9 lbs., returning to Philly rings first time since June of 2015, put on a "clinic" winning all six rounds over Dieumerci “Elephant” Nzau, 11-10, 8 KO, 139 lbs., of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, who fights out of Silver Springs, MD.

In the first round, Allen "owned" Nzau with that "old Philly" style using the jab followed by several body shots. A left hook in the final minute from Allen to the chin of Nzau had him turned to southpaw before quickly back to orthodox. Allen had Nzau missing throughout the round. 

In the second, an inside right uppercut from Allen followed by a left hook to the body had the fans excited. Allen landed a left hook with Nzau missing two wild left hooks.

Allen, well schooled by his father-trainer Damon and cutman Danny Davis, told this writer at the weigh-in, "I came back to Philly in my grandfather's (Mitch Allen) memory". Allen has fought for Golden Boy mostly on the west coast for the past five years.

In the fourth round, Nzau was warned for hitting during a break by Referee Riskus. Allen then rocked Nzau with a straight right on the chin. Halfway through the round a left hook from Allen to the chin rocked Nzau. Nzau pinned Allen against the ropes but was hit with several uppercuts to the body backing him off.  

In the fifth, Allen continued to put on his master class with combinations and a very effective jab. His left hooks landed almost at will to the chin of Nzau. In the sixth and final round, Nzau was warned for using his head inside by Referee Riskus. Allen continued landing left hooks to the head and right uppercuts to the body. Allen looked sharp and his many fans in the audience cheered him on throughout. Nzau was frustrated throughout. His trainer was very vocal at press conference but quiet tonight. Scores were 60-54 by all three judges and this writer.


Bantam supermodel, Avril Mathie, 4-0, 2 KO, of Sydney, Australia out of Miami, FL, 117.4 lbs., defeated Karen Dulin, 3-21-1, 1 KO, 118.2 lbs., of North Kingstown, RI, over four rounds.

In the first round, Mathie out-landed Dulin mainly with her jab and a few rights on the chin while inside. In the second round, Mathie was quicker with her hands countering the ever-coming-forward Dulin. In the third, Mathie countered with rights to the chin of Dulin again outworked her. In the fourth and final round, Dulin never stopped trying but was hit by too many counter punches. Scores were 40-36 by Werlinsky, Rubenstein and Bruni, and this writer.


Welterweight Shinard Bunch, 3-1, 1 ND, 4 KO, 147.4 lbs., Trenton, NJ, and southpaw Vinny Floyd, 4-8-1, 2 KO, was ruled a No Decision after an accidental clash of heads stopped the contest in the third round, of a scheduled six rounds.

In the first round, Bunch landed a right to the body and a left on the chin, dropping Floyd for an eight-count from referee Dali. Floyd got back up and held his own. However, Bunch showed too much power with his right hand. In the second round, southpaw Floyd landed a lead left on the chin of Bunch. A right from Bunch on the chin of Floyd drove him into the corner causing Referee Dali to give him a standing count since the corner kept him from going down. Floyd did well up to that point. Bunch was ahead 20-16 after two rounds.

In the third round, the taller Floyd didn't have defense enough to stop Bunch's rights to his chin. After a head butt, Floyd, already cut outside of his right eye, came away with another wound. After reviewing the cuts, the ring physician called a halt to the bout. Since the fight hadn't completed four rounds, the official ruling was a No Decision.


South Philly junior middleweight southpaw, Ryan Umberger, 3-0, 3 KO, 156 lbs., stopped Leon DeShields, 0-7, 161 lbs., of Camden, NJ via Wilmington, DE, at 2:49 of the first round with a pair of knockdowns in the scheduled four-rounder.

In the first round, DeShields rushed in and was dropped with a solid right hook on the chin. After about a minute of action DeShields, had Umberger against the ropes and landed short rights to the chin. Umberger got back into the fight and dropped DeShields with a right hook to the side of the head. When DeShields appeared unsteady upon rising, referee Chris Riskus wisely waved it off.


Philly welter James "No Game" Martin, 5-1, 146.4 lbs., defeated Juan "Vera Cruz" Rodriguez, 8-16-1, 6 KO, 145.3 lbs., of Haymarket, VA, four rounds.

In the first round, both fighters mixed it up well. Martin hurt Rodriguez and jumped on him, but got countered. In the final minute, Rodriguez buckled the knees of Martin, and when his knee hit the canvas, referee Riskus ruled it a knockdown. Martin came back again, rocking Rodriguez.

In the second, both fighters picked up where they left off. Martin had Rodriguez out on his feet and holding on. No fewer than six times did Rodriguez grab Martin without a warning. In the third round, a body shot from Martin followed by half a dozen unanswered body shots had Rodriguez holding on. Referee Riskus finally warned Rodriguez about holding. Right up to the bell they were slugging it out with Rodriguez holding when the action got too hot.

In the fourth and final round, Rodriguez was warned about rushing in with his head forcing Martin to the ropes. Rodriguez landed several good rights to the chin while Martin kept his punches to the body. Martin hurt Rodriguez several times, causing Rodriguez to grab him.

The scores were 39-37 by Rubenstein and Consentino, while Bruni had it 38-37. This writer had it 38-36 for Martin.


Cruiser southpaw Nicoy "Bang Bang" Clarke, 2-5, 198.7 lbs., Jersey City, NJ, was stopped by technical knockout by Angel "Gallitoo" Rivera, 4-1, 3 KO, 193.3 lbs., of Harrisburg, PA, at 1:41 of the second round of a scheduled four rounder. 


In the first round, Rivera immediately landed a lead right to the chin of Clarke. In a heated exchange Rivera's mouthpiece came out. Clarke spent the better part of the round rushing in with little success as Rivera countered him well. 

In the second round while against the ropes, Rivera countered to the body of the heavier Clarke who began to fold. Finally a flurry drove Clarke to the canvas sideways and onto his back with his head hitting the bottom strand. Wisely referee Dali immediately waved it off.

It was a good solid undercard with a lively crowd.




Ken Hissner - South Philly - October 25, 2019