Home Boxers Fights Arenas Non-Boxers Gyms Relics More About Contact


Story by Ken Hissner
Photos by Darryl Cobb, Jr. /


Super middleweight southpaw Derrick “Take it to the Bank” Webster, 20-1 (10 KO), Glassboro, NJ, won an easy 6 round decision Saturday night over tough Linwood Dozier, 9-11-2 (4 KO), in the main event at the Grundy Arena in Bristol, PA.

The card was a pro-amateur show, with four professional and four amateur bouts, and was the professional debut of  Doc Nowicki’s DandD Promotions. Nowicki, together with his partner, Dave Price, manage both Webster and Elijah Vines, who were on the this card, as well as super middleweight contender Jesse "Hart Work" Hart and several other boxers. 

In the opening round of the main event, the much taller Webster, back from his first loss a year ago, didn’t miss a beat in dominating Dozier. In the second round Webster moved around the ring countering the aggressive Dozier. In the third round there was little action, with Webster using his jab to keep Dozier at bay. 

In the fourth round, Webster’s jab started landing with authority and power left hands to the head of Dozier repeatedly hit their mark. With half a minute to go in the round, Webster landed a solid straight left that drove Dozier back about ten feet. Derrick jumped on him, but couldn’t put him away.

In the fifth round Webster continued to box Dozier, who never stopped coming forward and showed a lot of heart.

In the sixth and final round, Webster looked for a knockout, trying to land that one left hand. However, the shorter Dozier stayed low and was not easy to hit. At the sound of the ten second warning, Webster landed a three punch combination which seemed to impress the fans.

“I hurt my left shoulder in the second round and really fought one handed the rest of the way," said Webster. "I hope to return in August here.” 

Official judges Hill, Bruni and Lacend all scored the fight 60-54. This writer's score was the same.  

In the co-feature, super welterweight Elijah Vines, 2-0 (2 KO), of Philadelphia, stopped Jordan Rosario, 0-5, of Jersey City, NJ, at 2:56 or the second round, after scoring a pair of knockdowns. Both boxers were down in the first round.

In the opening round, the taller Vines hurt Rosario with a body shot that made one of his legs leave the canvas. Later in the round, Vines dropped Rosario, who got up looking mad. Rosario almost walked past the referee Eric Dali. He rushed Vines and dropped him with a left hook to the chin.

In the second round, uppercuts to the body by Vines dropped Rosario again. Moments later, several more body shots brought down Rosario's guard before a chopping right to the chin dropped Rosario face down. Referee Dali immediately waved the fight off.

In a cruiserweight bout, Trenton's Mike Hilton, 2-0 (2 KO), stopped Dave Valykeo, 4-8, of Neptune, NJ, at the end of the second round due to an injury to the left side of Valykeo's ribs.  

Hilton had an easy time of it, dropping Valykeo in the first round and pounding him in a corner for most of the second.

The fight ended between rounds when the ringside physician informed referee Dali of the injury.

In the opening bout, super featherweight Vidal “Suave” Rivera, 4-0 (3 KO), of Camden, NJ, won a good, close decision over Brian Santos, 0-1-1, of Puerto Rico, over four rounds.  

In a good first round, with the much taller Rivera using his longer reach. However, the round was very close.

In the second round both boxers really mixed it up in another close round. In the third round the boxers clashed heads, and Rivera came away with a nasty cut in his right eyebrow. The bout continued to be entertaining and close, with Rivera seeming to get the better of the smaller Santos.

In the fourth and final round, Rivera worked his jab. However, both mixed it up inside throughout the round, and this may have pulled the fight out for Rivera.

Judge Hill had it 40-36, while Bruni and Lacend had it 39-37. My score was 39-37. Again the referee was Eric Dali.

In the amateur part of the show, there were four entertaining bouts.

Elite Boxing's Vito Vielnicki seemed to get the short end of the stick after taking the first two rounds but losing the third. The judges didn’t agree and gave the decision to Raheim Jefferson of Bozy’s Gym. Although the decision was questionable, the fight was very good.

Jerrod Miner, of Young Guns, got a disqualification win after losing all three rounds to Eric Gordon of the Kingsessing Rec Center, in their 116-pound Novice bout. The fight ended after the full three rounds, but Miner was given the win because Gordon didn’t get a physical before the fight. So why was he even allowed to enter the ring?

141-pound Open southpaw Jeremy Cuevas, Gray’s Ferry, won a close decision over Harrisburg lefty Oswaldo Morales in a tough bout. Entering this fight, Cuevas was unbeaten in 29 bouts, and his coach felt he could have stopped his opponent.

Antonio Perez, of Capitol Punishment, defeated Malik Warren, of Charm City, in a Junior 132-pound bout.

Prior to the event, ring announcer Nino Del Buono led a final 10-count in respect to the passing of Muhammad Ali, who died Friday at age 74.

The promoters plan to return to the Bristol's Grundy Arena for another show on August 6th. 




Ken Hissner - Bristol, PA - June 04, 2016