PHILLY BOXING HISTORY                                                                     September 11, 2009


Home Boxers Fights Arenas Non-Boxers Gyms Relics More About Contact




Steve Upsher Chambers, Philadelphia, returned to the Blue Horizon ring after a bum foot forced a nine month interruption of his career. His opponent, Aaron Drake, came in from Kansas City with a decent 13-6 record, but put up little resistance in the scheduled 6-rounder. Chambers snoozed through most of the first round before dropping Drake with a right as the session wound down. In the second, a flurry of punches wilted Drake all the way to the canvas. He got up, and even engaged in one torrid exchange that proved to be his last gasp of the fight. A hard right-left-right by Chambers dropped the out-of-towner once again, and referee Gary Rosato waved the fight to a close as Drake reclined on the mat. With the win Upsher boosted his record to 20-1-1 with 6 KOs. The bout was scheduled for six rounds.

In the walkout bout, Joselito Collado (in blue trunks at left) probably ended the career of Jules Blackwell with a one-round stoppage at 2:01.  Phoenixville's Blackwell was making his first start since suffering a brutal KO loss to Darrell Martin last December, and many wondered how he would react when he felt another glove to the chin. Well, it did not go well. In just the first round of the scheduled six, a right by Collado dropped Jules on his back. Blackwell dripped onto the ring apron and struggled with the ropes while he gamely tried to continue. He got up, but was very unstable, and stumbled into his own corner. Referee Blair Talmadge waived the fight over, and everyone familiar with Blackwell knew it also signaled the end of his 8-3-2 (3 KO) run as a pro fighter. Collado returned to Queens. NY 8-0 with 2 KOs. It was his second straight impressive showing at the Blue.

Just before the main event Mondre Pope, Norfolk, posted a six-round unanimous decision over Isaac Suarez, Lancaster. Pope dropped his opponent in rounds two and three. Suarez came back from the brink pretty well, especially in round four, but could not make any real headway in the fight. Pope took the decision by scores of 58-54 & 58-55 twice. It was the first loss for Suarez, 7-1 (3 KO). Pope improved to 2-0-1.

Philadelphia's Phillip McCants (in white trunks at left) resumed his career after a three-year layoff with an nice four-round win over Tyson Schwiegger of Kansas City, MO. A press release earlier in the week touted McCants as the man who owned a TKO over rising welterweight star Mike Jones in the amateurs. In our first look at McCants (it was his first Philly appearance), and he impressed with an exciting and energetic performance. He winced off a hard body shot by Schwiegger in the fourth and final round to take the decision by three identical scores of 40-36. The win rebooted his now 8-1-1 (3 KO) career. Schwiegger left 3-8-3 (3 KO).

Jackie Davis, Philadelphia, and Victoria Cisneros, Albuquerque, put on a real brawl in their four rounder. Davis was a whirlwind, and swarmed Cisneros throughout the bout. Cisneros was bigger and stronger, but couldn't quite match Davis' busy output - although she tried. The two repeatedly banged heads all night. In one of the first head clashes, Cisneros came away with a nasty slash over her left eye, but she fought on without much affect. Davis got the majority nod 38-38, 39-37 & 39-37. It was Davis' third straight win without a loss. The more experienced Cisneros came away 3-7-2.

Former NHL tough guy, Nathan Perrott made his professional boxing debut in a four-round heavyweight fight against Philadelphia's Makidi Ku Tima, who came in with a 1-0 (1 KO) record. And in his first time in trunks, Perrott learned just how tough a sport boxing really is. Maybe he felt a little uncomfortable off the ice. He was cut in round won and in frustration threw Tima to the floor. By round two, Perrott was breathing heavily and showing some serious signs of wear and tear, but his punches began to land solidly. By the third round, both fighters were looking exhausted. Perrott ended the round with a nice combination that had Tima reeling. But at the bell, it was Perrott who huffing and puffing for air. The punishment he dished out in the first three rounds began to pay off in round four. Tima started holding every chance he got, buying as much time as he could. Perrott kept punching and eventually Tima tipped over more from exhaustion than from any one punch. He pulled himself up no further than to one knee, and referee Rosato stopped it at 2:52. 

Joe Alonso of Philadelphia (at left in black trunks with red stripe) made his pro debut against William Brown of Cleveland. And despite having a NY Giants tattoo on the right side of his torso, won over the crowd with his free-swinging and aggressive style. The truth may be that he brought much of the crowd with him. He certainly had a rabid following at ringside before he even threw his first punch. Alonso won all four rounds on all the judges cards (40-36, 40-36 & 40-35). With the loss, Brown's record evened out at 4-4 (2 KO).

The opening bout of the night was a four-rounder between two debuting jr. welterweight southpaws - Deroy Beaton, Toms River, and Jason Sia, Philadelphia. The fight was full of good exchanges. They rocked each other in round one and went to war in the fourth. Beaton got the decision on all three cards: 39-37 & 40-36 twice. (Note: pictured above: Beaton in black trunks and Sia in Red.)

The show was promoted as "Public Safety Night", and before the six-rounder started, several presentations were made in the ring to various members of the police force, fire department, and the military. Approximately 750 fans turned out for the event.




John DiSanto - North Philly - September 11, 2009